Monday, December 13, 2010

PCOS and Self Esteem

I did a day course at Women's college hospital , candidates all had PCOS .
Funny I know so many women that I work with that had PCOS and met many others, but my own Doctor admitted he does not know much about PCOS because I am his only patient with it !!! At the hospital a nurse ( who herself has it ) even said she is shocked that I am the only patient of my doctor with this issue .

I am excited though that I will be seeing Dr Laredo ,in March ,2011!

Sheila Laredo, MD, PhD, FRCPC is a Clinical Teacher and an Assistant Professor of Medicine at the University of Toronto, in the Division of Endocrinology. She has a PhD in Clinical Epidemiology. Her clinical focus is in polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), reproductive endocrinology, insulin resistance and lifestyle interventions. She is developing a clinical and research database in PCOS. She is a member of the Women’s College Hospital Research Ethics Board. She is Medical Director of the Medical Clinics at Women’s College Hospital and has expertise in implementing ‘Lean Management’ processes into clinical settings. Dr. Laredo has expertise in the Health Advocacy role in working with different levels of government to help develop health policy, training initiatives, and clinical practice guidelines, with a special interest in autism. She is teaching in undergraduate and postgraduate medicine, has mentored students clinically and in research, and is the recipient of several teaching awards.

Telephone: 416-323-6373

Fax: 416-323-7522

E-mail: sheila.laredo@wchospital.ca

Between five and 10 per cent of women have PCOS, says Dr. Sheila Laredo
Despite the name, the ‘cysts’ involved in PCOS are, in fact, enlarged follicles on the ovary – not actually cysts, Dr. Laredo said.

A study looking at cardiovascular disease in women with irregular periods suggests a link between PCOS and heart disease. Women with irregular periods had 50 per cent higher risk of coronary heart disease, and 88 per cent higher risk of fatal coronary heart disease, compared to women with regular cycles. Even after taking into consideration factors such as BMI and blood pressure, women with irregular cycles had an increased risk of heart disease.

Dr. Laredo noted that because the vast majority of women with very irregular periods do in fact have PCOS, this increased risk for heart disease could be a feature of PCOS.

Risk of sleep apnea is also very high in women with PCOS.
PCOS may also increase the risk of developing endometrial cancer. In a study that compared women with endometrial cancer to women from the same clinic who were being treated for benign conditions,

Fertility problems are common among PCOS patients. Dr. Laredo noted that between one-quarter and one-third of women who present to fertility clinics have PCOS. When they do get pregnant, they are more likely to develop obstetrical risks, including miscarriage, preterm birth, stillbirth, gestational diabetes, pre-eclampsia and delivery problems such as the baby’s shoulders becoming stuck in the birth canal. While some of these outcomes are probably related to BMI, research has shown that even after taking BMI into consideration, women with PCOS still had an increased risk of pregnancy-induced hypertension and gestational diabetes

Given the host of complications and related conditions linked to PCOS, it’s not surprising that PCOS patients tend to have a lower quality of life than other women. Weight problems, obesity and fertility problems contribute to this. But depression is also much more common in women with PCOS than in the general population, even after adjusting for factors such as infertility. Depression can worsen problems with insulin resistance, diabetes and obesity because depression reduces the ability to undertake lifestyle interventions, such as exercise, that might help reduce the impact of those issues.


Well here it is ,it's funny when people think they know you , yet they really only just met you ,and have no clue what you are like or what your life was like .

Although diagnosed since I was 18 with PCOS , the symptom never really started effecting me till the late 90's .
I was like my friend "Joe " said the "it" girl .The girl everyone wanted to go out with , be friends with ,party with you name it .In fact my best friend Judy one day ,even told me when we first met she was jealous of me in college .
Having PCOS does change the way you feel about yourself .You don't feel as pretty, or as energetic as before :(

Well I decided I am taking this by the "HORNS " like they would say .
I am taking back me again .PCOS is only winning for now , but NOT FOR LONG !!!

Here is something that only my friends know about me . I use to model.I have know clue if the agency is even their anymore but I modeled for Sutherland models , they use ot be at yonge and Eglinton .I use to do alot of shows in college .Funny what a different type of world I live in and hoe I feel people I am around now are different as well .

Great why do I have to belong in that percentage !

Sigh here are pictures of me through the years and now..!











Me , but many many years later ! we're talking 14 years later !And 70 ponds more!
YUcK GROSS! Time for a pcos overhaul.I believe you can always see weight gain in the face

No comments:

Post a Comment