Saturday, January 8, 2011

SO I THOUGHT YOR BLOG IS ABOUT PCOS !

My blog is my journey through healing myself with PCOS ,which is the outcome of the primary source 'Insulin deficiency "
This basically means if you are insulin deficient your body does not turn sugar into energy but instead stores it as FAT ! IN simple terms.

I started this site because I was sick ending up with ads to sell me something when I was searching for help with fertility and PCOS .Even blog that looked like they were created by a regular person ended up being a sale of something at the end :(

Well I have been in the past on many diets that I was advised ,but none has had a greater impact on me or my health as the diabetic vegan lifestyle! Sadly enough we can not all have our cake and eat it too. I see it as I can not have health and fertility with out giving up my sweet tooth .And yes I have given up coffee and sweeteners as well. I drink herbal and fruit teas ( no sugar ) and plain simple water .AND DOES IT WORK !!!! HELL YES I have lost a substantial amount of weight without even trying .By lowering my carbs (sugar) I find I also am not hungry as much and I do not have cravings .I find many times when I think I am hungry I am really just thirsty , so a glass of water really hits the spot .I am on daily vitamins and make sure I get a balance diet .

Overview

Diabetes is a disease which affects millions of Americans. It reduces a person's ability to move sugar from the bloodstream into the cells of the body, and can cause high blood sugar. According to the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine, diabetes can damage the kidneys when not properly managed. Some diabetics take medications every day, while others control their blood sugar levels through diet alone. One diet used to treat diabetes is a vegan diet, which allows for no meat, eggs, dairy or animal products.


Fat Intake

Fat intake is an important aspect of any diabetic diet, since it can either improve or worsen health, depending on the type of fat and amount consumed. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services states that adults should consume between 20 to 35 percent of their calories from dietary fats, limiting saturated fat intake to a maximum of 10 percent of calories daily. The vegan diet is naturally low in total fat and completely free of saturated fat, since saturated fat only comes from animal products. Healthy choices of fats on the vegan diet for diabetes include nuts and oils, including extra virgin olive oil.

Protein Intake

Protein intake is the major concern for both diabetics and vegans. This is because protein helps to stabilize blood sugar levels, yet is can be difficult for vegans to attain through diet alone. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recommends getting 10 to 35 percent of calories from protein every day, whether a person is diabetic or not. Eating too little protein can cause diabetics to become weak and dizzy, while eating too much protein can be taxing on the kidneys.
Protein Sources

Dr. Andrew Nicholson, from the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine, states that a vegan diet can allow for plenty of protein when planned out well. High-protein vegan foods include peanut butter, beans, lentils, tofu and soybeans. Seitan, also called wheat gluten, is the protein-rich portion of the wheat kernel, and is meaty and chewy, excellent for stir-fry meals.
Benefits of Vegan Diet

Despite the possible challenges in getting enough protein, a vegan diet has actually been shown to be helpful for diabetics. The Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine states that since vegan diets are low in fat, high in fiber and free of cholesterol, they can help to reduce blood pressure and control blood sugar levels. Vegan diets can also be helpful in getting diabetics who are overweight to lose weight, states the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment